Yes We Can! – and it is in our control for the most part.
A great article, which among other things says:
Studies collated by the database say you tend to be happier if you:
- Are in a long-term relationship
- Are actively engaged in politics
- Are active in work and in your free time
- Go out for dinner
- Have close friendships (though happiness does not increase with the number of friends you have)
And there are some surprising findings:
- People who drink in moderation are happier than people who don’t drink at all.
- Men tend to be happier in a society where women enjoy greater equality.
- Being considered good looking increases men’s happiness more than it does women’s.
- You tend to be happier if you think you’re good looking, rather than if you actually, objectively speaking, are.
- Having children lowers your happiness levels, but your happiness increases when they grow up and leave home.
Read the whole article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23097143